Why join frog?
Joining frog means you’ll be joining the “pond,” a global network of studios, each with a thriving in-person and vibrant virtual culture. frogs are curious, collaborative, and courageous, united by our passion for improving the human experience through design, while each bringing our unique and diverse skills and experiences to the table. We draw on our global reach and local knowledge to solve complex problems and design innovative, sustainable solutions that touch hearts and move markets. frogs prize humour, positivity, and community just as highly as performance and outcomes. Our culture is open, flexible, inclusive, and engaging. Working at frog means being empowered to Make Your Mark on every project, in your studio, your community—and the world at large.
What will you be doing?
Industrial Designers are responsible for the design of physical products and touchpoints, considering usability, look and feel, and manufacturing. They define product architecture and features, physical workflows and user experience, design language & aesthetics, colours & materials, and product technologies. They work closely with strategists, researchers, and other design disciplines to shape “convergent experiences” involving physical, digital, service and brand components.
As an Industrial Design Intern, you will support teams on client-facing and internal projects. You will learn by doing, with guidance from experienced practitioners, who will help you understand and deliver industrial design activities assigned to you, in the context of interdisciplinary projects.
Project teams rely on Industrial Designers to:
- Conceptualise and visualise product designs and physical interactions using sketching, 3D CAD and renderings, hand built physical mock-ups and 3D prints
- Define product design language and aesthetic directions that can make the product iconic, unique, and recognisable, but most importantly, fitting with the brand what the target user’s desire
- Explore product architectures that consider details of how people would use and perceive the product, usability, ergonomics, and the human factors of the experience
- Craft details and signature elements in the product that are meaningful, that make people love the experience and build long-lasting relationships and routines
- Build virtual and physical prototypes to simulate the experience with the product, how it looks and feels, its interaction, and how it might be manufactured or resembled
On a typical project you will support activities including:
- Plan and conduct design research focussed on product use and experience
- Analyse and test product usability, ergonomics, and workflow
- Develop user experience scenarios and journeys integrating physical and digital interactions
- Explore and develop aesthetic directions for individual products and for cross-product design systems
- Explore and develop ideas and concepts with hand sketching, 3D CAD, hand-built volumetric mock-ups, and 3D prints
- Refine concept designs into 3D parametric CAD, including definition of part break-up considering manufacturing and assembly
- Prepare product renderings and assets for AR and VR simulation
- Explore CMF (colour, materials, and finishes) with samples and renderings
- Create product design documentation and collaborate with customer and 3rd party engineering teams during development.
- Coordinate prototype supplier in the appearance model realisation
We want you to have:
- Recently completed, or will complete within 1 year, a university degree in Industrial Design, Architecture, or a related design or engineering discipline
- A robust practical and theoretical grounding in industrial design through your studies and professional industrial design experience
- Well-developed core design skills, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work
- Willingness to quickly learn and grow your design skills on the job
- Ability to present and clearly explain your to others
- Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams
- Proficiency with contemporary design tools and methods
- Affinity with frog’s values, and a passion for creating products that meet peoples' functional and emotional needs
- Business level ability in English
It would be a bonus if you had:
- Experience working in a variety of organisations (start-up, corporate, agency/consultancy)
- Academic, professional, or life experience from outside the design field that enriches your perspective as a designer
- As part of your application, please include a link or PDF of your portfolio of recent work, highlighting your abilities and experience relevant to the role, with specific examples of how you work, think, collaborate, and contribute to great design outcomes. Please note that we are unable to accept any applications without a portfolio.
- Applicants should be available for six months.
- This position is based in our Milan studio. Applicants must be eligible to work in Italy.
Equal Opportunities at frog
frog is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender identity/expression, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
frog is a global business with teams working from every corner of the world. To help us process your application, please ensure that your application documents (CV, cover letter, portfolio, etc.) are all in English.